OPTCO, More Than a COFFEE Importer
Since 1990, Organic Products Trading Company has been working directly with small-scale farmers around the world to source high quality green specialty coffee. Our business is built on long-term relationships with Certified Organic and Fair Trade co-operatives as well as conventional farms that focus on improving their communities, their families, and their environment. OPTCO’s mission is to support coffee producers by providing market access, in addition to collaborating on development projects, gender equality initiatives, harvest finance, and quality improvement programs. Join the effort to support coffee communities by sourcing your certified and conventional beans with OPTCO.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS DURING COVID-19
Many of our clients have been asking
Is OPTCO open?
- Yes, we are open our usual hours, 7 am to 4 pm M-F. We are ready and able to do your coffee business.
- We are working online and from the office taking calls. Since we are down to only essential office personnel, please be patient. We will respond to your requests as fast a possible.
- Keep in mind the warehouse deadlines when ordering.
- We remain diligent in keeping our office safe and sanitary.
What can you tell me about the warehouses?
- Continental is cutting back on hours. Seaforth has been asking for more lead times. OPTCO can communicate with the warehouses and find out about where our orders are in line respective to others. We are waiting like the rest. The warehouses are running a very tight ship right now, and OPTCO is staying abreast of the situation. The warehouses have been on a day-to-day and sometimes hour-to-hour plan of action.
- Warehouses are taking extra precautions to handle your orders with attention to disinfecting and safety procedures.
- Freight companies have not reported delays in pickup or delivery.
What if someone comes in and hoards all the coffees?
OPTCO will not allow anyone customer to liquidate any current crop inventory. Period. We see an increase in order sizes, primarily with roasters that require additional transportation or located in remote locations. Because this is uncharted territory, we must pay extra attention to those who are on terms. We are addressing all “larger than average” orders individually.
What about roaster trips?
OPTCO has decided to postpone all international travel at this point. We do not know yet how the virus will move around the globe and if there will be new hotspots during the year.
What about SCA in Portland?
- While everyone is waiting for an “official” announcement from SCA about a potential postponement of the 2020 event in Portland, we feel confident that once the State of Oregon extends the ban on people gathering past the current April 14th date, SCA will be able to move forward with closing or postponement. If they can close it, SCA will. It is a matter of sorting out the legal and financial issues right now. OPTCO is betting that it will be closed or postponed.
- Video and statement from SCA and all SCA updates are on their website at coffee/covid19.
- OPTCO has already postponed the Annual Café Femenino Breakfast Meet & Greet to next year.
Of course, the above situation might change at any moment, but we will keep you posted. Please stay well.
PHONE: 360-573-4433 or email email@example.com to order green
Cafe Femenino Peru Program
Annual Roaster Visit to Peru
One of the best parts of being a roaster partner with Café Femenino is the opportunity to visit the women producers, cooperative members, the board of the Peruvian Café Femenino Foundation, and their families. We look forward to the road trips deep into the rural outreaches of the Andes Mountains where this beautiful coffee is shade-grown. We enjoy introducing roasters to producers who in turn share experiences with each other over a meal. Cupping in the lab and visiting the mill brings the entire cycle of the bean from the farm to the warehouse where it awaits a ship.
These visits make strong coffee relationships possible. Meeting, sharing, talking, eating, and smiling… a lot. Follow us on @cafefemenino on Instagram. Call 360-573-4433 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out about the next trip.